"I don't trust myself."
After having 20+ Personal Alchemy conversations over the last two weeks, this was the biggest theme I noticed across the board. I spoke with people in the personal development field, Spiritual seekers, coaches and healers. I spoke with people at the beginning of their journey and well-established practitioners. Almost everyone, when I asked what was keeping them from reaching the goals they shared with me, answered some variation on the theme of "I need to trust myself more before I can ____________."
Let's let that sink in for a moment.
Why don't we trust ourselves? If almost everyone feels this way, if this is so pervasive and universal, why aren't we talking about it more? Moreover, why do we feel guilty about it?
This was the other theme I noticed: almost every single time that someone shared with me that they did not trust themselves, it was followed by something like, "But I know I should," or "I'm working on it," or an embarrassed laugh.
It's like we think everyone else has it figured out. I could have told you before having all these conversations, and can 100% confirm to you now: nobody has it all figured out 100% of the time. That includes how we trust ourselves... or don't.
Every one of these people also shared with me beautiful dreams, visions that they had for themselves, their lives and their work in the world. I heard ideas about opening healing practices, writing books, starting nonprofits and opening retreat centers. And I also heard just as many people listing self-doubt as the reason for not fulfilling these dreams.
What is the cost of not trusting ourselves?
One of the pieces of advice I gave to a lot of people (that I'll share with you now) is that we can treat these moments when we don't trust ourselves as opportunities to remember who we are. Think about it: if you just met somebody and you don't know them, you're probably not going to trust them implicitly right off the bat. But by learning who they are, how they make decisions and live in the world, you can determine if they're trustworthy.
I invite you to go through that process with yourself. During those inevitable moments when we doubt ourselves, it's probably because we've forgotten who we are, we've drifted away from our center and are no longer connected with our core value system and way of being in the world. From that standpoint, we view these dreams and ideas as vague possibilities... something that exists only in a theoretical universe where we have it all figured out.
Slow down. Take a few breaths, call your energy and your power back to your core, and invite yourself back into your body. Create a sense of safety where you are fully connected with your highest self. If it resonates, offer yourself this affirmation:
I know who I AM.
I know what I Am.
I know how I serve
I trust myself completely.
After that, try asking...
Do I trust myself enough to__________________?
Calling All Changemakers: Last chance to apply for I AM Alchemy!
The Certification Training Course in the Art and Science of Personal Transformation
April 10, 2018 - March 30, 2019
Application Deadline: March 13, 2018
Through our I AM Alchemy work, you will:
- Receive profound training in practical applications of magic, ritual and ceremony that will have a material, measurable effect on your life, your practice and your world through creating your reality and actualizing your intention.
- Learn the philosophy, principles and practice of Alchemy from a modern, grounded perspective.
- Become a magical practitioner capable of setting effective intentions, changing structures, altering reality and shifting the blueprint of your life.
- Bring your I AM presence, your true Divine nature, to full actualization and expression.
- Discover techniques to bring greater power and depth to your personal and/or professional healing practice.
- Participate in practicum (facilitate Alchemical experiences for your fellow I AM Alchemists during the second half of the year).
- Receive certification as an I AM Alchemy practitioner.